Cost: USD 4.99 but special offer now at 0.99
Many people with iPhone or IPod Touch have asked me whether there are PDF readers that provides a good reading experience.
This is very important, when it comes to mobile productivity, as various groups of people need PDF readers for various use. Consider:
- Student Reading his PDF text book for reference. You don’t have to bring around a bulky hard cover text book just in case you might need to refer to it.
- A business executive needs to: Read the minutes of last conference meeting. Read business magazine, time magazine to keep up to date with current affairs when he has the time to burn commuting. Alot of reports are presented in Factsheets, most notably product presentation brochures. It would be better to carry it in your phone rather than alot of papers that you will not know whether to throw away or keep and you will just keep it lying around every where.
- A high school student that have alot of e-story books and magazines that wanna read whenever they are commuting between school and home.
For me, i belong to the second, third and forth categories. That is why I ache for a relatively reliable PDF reader. The problem with the iPhone or iPod touch is that the apps are:
- cost alot to transfer fom desktop to iPhone
- don’t present large PDF files well
- bad scrolling experience
This is why GoodReader is an awesome productivity application off the app store. Not only does it read large PDF docs ( read 28 mb magazines with pictures) well, but enables you to view
- Text documents
- Microsoft word
- Microsoft excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
What you want in a good reader, is that it should
- easy transfer to phone
- relatively easy management
- -good scrolling
- -displays pdf documents well
I would say GoodReader meets all these criterias.
Those iPhone PDF readers require you to install apps that cost large amt of money just so that you can upload PDF docs to your iPhone just dun seem value.
What goodreader has is a couple of transfer options
1) desktop transfer client through USB.
Edit: Seems to me they have taken out this option. Oh Well this one seems pretty redundant in the first place.
2) web transfer through WebDAV. This is an awesome method to transfer! WebDAV allows you to access to file folder structure through web. And you can leverage upon your phones wifi capability to do this easily. THIS IS MY PREFERED METHOD.
First, Connect your Phone or IPod Touch through wifi.
Second, go to the GoodReader App, click on the WIFI transfer icon.
You will see the following screen. Goodreader will provide you with your iPhone’s ip and port to connect with.
All you need to do is key in the URL e.g http://192.168.1.102:8080
and you will hav instant access to folder space where you will store all your documents.
You can then upload your document through this very simple web interface as well as create folders to start uploading.
Viewing your PDF Documents/Books
Scrolling is a breeze as you can use the up and down portion of the screen to bring you to the section next or previous from where you are reading.
The good thing about goodreader is that it does not automatically switch from landscape to portriat and vice versa. You will have to use a button to toggle it. This is extremly helpful if you are lying sideways on a bed and reading( actually it’s not very good way of reading haha!)
If you want a good reference guide reader, you want to search for items, like “moving average” “html 5″ “windows 7″, GoodReader is able to do that
You can also book mark certain sections of your PDF book.
It’s presentation and zooming in and out of content is very good. Here are a few examples of how it looks like:
Reading Books for Reference
Excel and Word Document Viewing
This must be the most worth it 99 cents i ever spent on the App Store. Totally dependable on the go reference application. With a 8GB storage, i can load a ton of reference guides in there. A definite recommendation from the productivity point of view.
Latest posts by Kyith (see all)
- Install Telegram Desktop Successfully on Ubuntu MATE 15.04 - May 10, 2015
- Remote Desktop with XRDP on UBUNTU Mate - April 5, 2015
- Steam unable to be played on Ubuntu due to OpenGL GLX context is not using direct rendering - April 5, 2015
- Start saving to buy another iPhone AFTER you just get one! - October 20, 2014
- Food influences moods - July 20, 2014