Regularly is an android app to help you keep track of tasks that do not have a fixed schedule and remind you to do it.
Ghacks highlighted this really great Android to do based app call Regularly.
It solves a particularly unique use case that many people have.
- People don’t like a difficult to do list like those Getting Things Done lists
- People want to be reminded of a set of tasks that are “good to be carried out” but not those “if I don’t do my life will end”
- They want a way to keep track of their habits and help them form them
- Remind them to do it regularly
Regularly looks specifically for that purpose.
What are these kind of activities
You may or may not agree with them but here are some of the things that I can think of that will not kill but its good to push to do:
- Review your wealth plan. Update your net worth. Thinking of your families financial coverage
- Turn your bed to the other side.
- Update your resume
- Find out what is new in your industry
- Maintain your equipment
- Contact long haven’t met friends
- Have a meal outside with your family together
- Do nothing for 1 day
- Backup your data to a backup storage (Tablets, Smartphones, Online)
Regularly is FREE. You can download it here for your Android device. It is not for IOS or Windows Phone yet.
Habit tracking, reminding and forming
To be a productive person, it is important to remove deficient habits and build habits that will create extraordinary effects permeating all aspects of your life.
One of the way to do that is taking notes. Research have shown that those who take notes, build systems that helps them to successfully build or kick a habit.
Regularly helps that a lot because you can keep log of the intervals in which you carry out a good or bad habit:
- You want to build consistent streaks for good habits
- You need to be as less consistent about your bad habits as possible
Regularly lets you log down when each of those activity is carried out. This way you can be conscious about the regularity in which you carry out the event.
When you are conscious, change the way the reminders that bugs you to do the activity.
Fixed Period or Irregular
Specify whether the activity is regular or irregular. If it is irregular you will not see the “NEXT DUE”
But for people who wants to do something periodically, they can set a NEXT DUE whether its 1 day, 5 days, 3 weeks, 3 months.
Regularly will remind you from the last time you did the task. Many to do list can only set an interval but not from the last task completed date.
Bugging you to do the Activities
While building habits or destroying them requires you to
- Make a pact with yourself that you want to do it
- Be aware of Trigger-Routine-Reward
You can nudge yourself along the way, by varying the bugging system
Regularly allows you to vary the frequency in a percentage. By default its 33%.
Tag the Activity
In project management, we have Work Packages with specific objectives that have numerous Activities. This is similar to GTD’s Project and Tasks relationship.
You can tag these Activities in Regularly to Tags.
I have the following Tags:
- Wealth – Managing money to build net worth
- Hygiene – Activities for to be clean
- Equipment Maintenance – Things that will break down if you don’t do periodic maintenance e.g. Car, PC, Air Con
- Wellness – Go to dentist, Do a body checkup
You will have your own tags (do share with me!)
Backup your Regularly data
I really don’t think you need to sync it to an online store. As long as you can backup the data that will be good.
Regularly allows you to backup the data to your SD Card.
If not you can use Titanium Backup to backup the Regularly to your SD Card.
You can then use Regularly to set up an Activity to transfer your SD Card backup to your desktop!!
Some Activities I Keep Track of
Here are some things I keep track of. You can see how some stuff I have not done in a long time!
That can be clean the internals of the computer. Its not going to kill me but if my computer breaks down because I don’t do that I lose money.
I have a regular 3 month period to review my wealth plan.
I want to make it a point to meet my secondary school friends. So this will tell me when is the next time we should arrange something.
Also I want to build a habit to be more hygienic, such as cleaning my bed and chair instead of relying on my parents.
I think this app is so niche but can be so useful. The best is its free.
Let me know your experience with this application
What kind of activities would go into a use-case such as this?